Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Remembering Chojo

I found by chance an old email I wrote to my sister on 10th Sep 2001 (1 day before Sep 11)! It was a bittersweet letter about Chojo our beloved budgie who's left us.

"Hi Pauline,
Glad to hear you're safely home & well. I've forwarded you a budgie email re training. Oh, and guess what, we have a new baby budgie!

We picked up a new little baby budgie yesterday. We had planned to get one in a couple of weeks, but when we met this little one, it won our hearts. We had started our research yesterday, and our first stop was a pet shop we know well: I asked to hold a particular baby budgie - a grey/blue one with yellowish feathers on his head, and when the shopowner put him in my hands, the little budgie promptly found the opening of my sleeve and crawled all the way to my elbow and stayed there, happy to snuggle. It was a very young one, the beak was still black. He's incredibly sweet and tame. He prefers snuggling to perching, and right now is asleep with his head on his "chin" in a pile of birdseed, within the folds of a blanket. We've named him ChoJo. He's so heartbreakingly soft & trusting.

In the car whilst driving back from the pet shop, ChoJo was happily snuggled up in my jacket. He can't get enough of snuggling. We should have named him Snuggles! He's not afraid of anything. We can stroke him anywhere and he happily continues eating; he doesn't startle easily, he's just so tame. The only thing he doesn't like is being picked up bodily, he'll struggle. But if you hold him against your body and he can snuggle against your hand, then he settles down. You can pet his head, stroke his wings, his feet, tickle his chin, scratch his head -- it's all the same to him - no need to worry. Very relaxed.

Will send you pics soon.

Isn't it always strange when we return from hols overseas? I feel really different this time, a little sad, a little optimistic about my future, and a faint longing for M'sia. (and a painful feeling in the vicinity of the bank account!) Hope you're settling in well."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home