Monday, April 25, 2005

Merry merry king of the bush

I was lying in bed a couple of mornings ago, and watching a Kookaburra at play in the branches of the tree outside our balcony door. It flew from the branch to a tree stump nearby, alternating between the two in its own private game. ( I got a photo of him - will post it soon). I later noticed many kookaburras around, and I don't see them so often. Not as often as I see the Corellas.

I like to think a Kookaburra helped me find Kokola our Corella when he flew away and got lost. I had asked Kokola's guardian angel to bring him back safely, when I noticed the Kookaburra sitting on our boundary fence nearby. I mentally asked him to find Kokola & show him the way back. Early the next morning, I woke up thinking I heard Kokola call. You might wonder how I could distinguish Kokola's Corella call from the hundreds (thousands?) of Corellas out there. I just know his voice... proven by the many times I found him when he was lost in the wild.

I went out in my pyjamas, calling "Kokola!" I heard him answer me from far away. I called again, trying to pinpoint his direction. Kurt and I and the dogs set off to the next paddock and found him sitting on the fence at the far end of the property, trembling and happy to come home with us. He hadn't been there the day before, because I'd scoured every inch of our property and our neighbours', calling for him repeatedly. Somehow, he'd found his way back. As we carried him back to the house, I looked up to see the Kookaburra sitting on the fence looking gravely at us before it flew off. Thank you, I mentally called out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home